3.03.2013

Lent and St. Faustina

If you haven't read The Diary of St. Faustina, you're missing out. Don't be intimidated by its size; it's a fast read, and you'll reap countless insights from it. I was reading it in 2006 while pregnant with Francesca. After Mass at St. James one day, a slight, elderly nun approached me. She handed me a holy card with the Divine Mercy image on it and whispered sweetly, "Trust in Jesus!" Perhaps seeing me pregnant she felt I could use some encouragement (it had been a rough go with morning sickness, I won't lie). I was amazed to learn she's a relative of St. Faustina's, working to spread the Divine Mercy message in the northern Virginia area! Feeling strongly this was no random coincidence, we decided on "Faustina" as Francesca's middle name.

This little Lenten reader Hilary gave me a couple years ago gives a snippet from the Diary for each day of Lent. I'll try to post one or two a day that I find particularly thought-provoking and prayer-inspiring. They speak to the suffering soul (i.e. every one of us). Here's a few for today:

Christ to St. Faustina:

The loss of each soul plunges Me into mortal sadness. You always console Me when you pray for sinners. The prayer most pleasing to Me is prayer for the conversion of sinners. Know, My daughter, that this prayer is always heard and answered (1397).

I desire that you know more profoundly the love that burns in My Heart for souls, and you will understand this when you meditate on My Passion (186).

You are my great joy; your love and your humility make Me leave the heavenly throne and unite Myself with you. Love fills up the abyss that exists between My greatness and your nothingness (512).

She has a pleasant face, doesn't she? It kindof reminds me of JPII's... must be a Polish thing, or maybe a saint thing.

2 comments:

Pop Pop said...

St. Faustina's "Divine Mercy Chaplet" is a truly wonderful prayer. Perhaps you can give us something about that prayer in this series.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thanks for doing this - what a good idea.

Hilary

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...