8.29.2020

Love in the time of Covid

Well, if you haven't already heard, we're expecting. On February 3rd to be exact. We kept the news from the kids until the first trimester sonogram. At dinner a week before the sonogram, I asked a risky (stupid?) question: "Hey kids, would you rather have a dog, or a baby?" I wouldn't have asked if I didn't have an inkling that at least some contingent would answer "baby!" To my joy, they all shouted "baby!" How relieving! What an agreeable lot we have here. 

Yep, there are feet in there! Awesome shirt compliments of my friend Audrey.


For the first time ever, we're going to have a "gender reveal" with this little one. The plan is to have the sonogram tech write the gender down on a piece of paper, which we will deliver to a bakery, where a cake will be concocted with a blue or pink layer of frosting in the middle, depending on the gender. I'm going to have the tech give us a back-up piece of paper, just to make sure the bakery doesn't make a terrible error. If I'm patient enough, I won't peek at the envelope before the party. Hm, no one would know...

School has started. David has four in-person kids in his class. The remaining 16 are on a screen, zooming into the classroom from their homes.  I don't envy the teachers having to manage both the classroom and the "zoom-room" everyday; it can't be easy. I guess we knew going in that this academic year would be less than ideal. 

In the meantime, Gabriel has me all to himself like the good ol' days. The return to structure where certain things have to happen at certain times has been a good thing, I think. Gabriel and I have a nice varied routine of park, library, daily Mass, lunch, quiet reading... we enjoy it.

The artist at work.

Thomas, Percy, James, Henry, Edward, and Gordon. Just in case you were wondering.


The other kids are bummed to give up our summer dinnertime routine of watching Kids Baking Championship, Shark Tank, or a DisneyPlus movie every night of the week. Back to dinners at the table and having to engage in conversation. "What's one good thing that happened to you today?" (Snack, lunch and recess don't count).

Until next time...

1 comment:

grandmommy said...

Awwww. Little Hamish will always know he(or she--doesn't matter, that's what I'm calling either)that he/she is preferable to a puppydog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...