10.07.2015

Lessons in gratitude at CVS

One of our favorite portraits by Rose. "Daddy" 
Very helpful, very Frankie.


The tennis team.

Today I went with David and Rose to CVS to get flu shots (not even a whimper from them, to the nurse's and my utter amazement) . On the way out, after latching Rose in to her carseat and turning the corner to get in myself, I became aware that an elderly man in the car next to us was talking to me and gesticulating. I got out and approached.

He was likely in his 70s, and his legs were awkwardly sticking out of the car as he sat in the driver's seat, crutches leaning against the open car door. In a thick southern Virginia accent, he said "They're quite a challenge, aren't they?" For a moment I was confused before realizing he was talking about David and Rose. I smiled and laughed. He went on, "You don't expect how it gets when you have grandchildren. I have an 11 year old grandson who went to..." He scratched his head a moment remembering. "Kindergarten! When he was in kindergarten they realized he was reading at a 4th grade level. His little sister who's 8 will be just like him. She called me up the other day and said 'Pop-pop, I love you'. I never knew I'd like being a grandparent." I smiled and said that's wonderful and agreed that the grandparent/grandchild relationship is indeed special.

He continued, "I had a bad knee and the doctor took it out. Don't have a knee now. Then he took out some of the bone up here," pointing to his femur, "and really messed me up.  I had an infection that cleared up, and he should have put the knee back in, but he wouldn't. I don't know, I think that doctor's in court now. But you know, it could be worse. Could be cancer." Looking at his mangled leg I saw that it was indeed without a knee and much shorter than the other one. It washed over me how much this man had suffered, and how he was simply resting in his car before beginning his trek into the CVS and wanted some company.

I told him how awful, what suffering. He changed the subject. "How do you like your car? Is that a Dodge?" We spent a short time talking about our van. I asked if I could help him get out of the car. "Oh no, I'll be fine." I told him it was nice talking to him, and that I would pray for him. I meant it. He smiled and said "Thank you. I appreciate that."

As I was pulling away, I watched him as he figured out how to lift the bad leg up over the curb. He made it. I'm still pondering the lesson this fellow human being, having suffered so much and seemingly without someone to help him, taught me about cheerfulness and gratitude. Whenever I have a trial I'll think of him, and that is a gift.  

2 comments:

Nat said...

This brought tears to my eyes. It's a good reminder that there's so much pain and suffering in the world and most of us really truly are lucky. Thanks for sharing, Cara. Keep this up. I love reading your blog!

Dave said...

Rose was sketching what Daddy looks like after a Notre Dame win. Or... a Notre Dame loss. It wasn't clear.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...