10.28.2013

Frankie the theologian

This is a conversation between Frankie and Teresa that overhear every couple weeks or so. It varies in detail, but the essence is usually the same. I always wish I had a pen and paper. This time I did. While coloring:

Teresa: "Frankie, I like the angels and the saints and..."
Frankie interrupting: "I like everyone in the world. Except the devil."
Teresa: "Everyone in the world except the devil, and exceeeept...."
Frankie: "Oh, I like him."
Teresa: "The evil king in Syria??"
Frankie: "Yeah, I like him. You're supposed the like people who are bad, right Mom?" (me: that's right...)
Frankie: "Mom, I'm going to offer my birthday to God. I give my birthday to God, and God gives my birthday that I gave to Him to other people who are poor. Get it?"
Teresa: "Can I give my birthday too?"
Frankie: "Yeah, you can. You don't have to, but you can."

There's frequently a soliloquy by Frankie about what Heaven and Hell are like, and how much she loves the angels and saints. Teresa is always listening with rapt attention, asking questions. Perhaps teaching is in Frankie's future, as she seems quite comfortable instructing the ignorant.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Nice. Frankie’s last line shows how nuanced she is in her thinking.

One nit: We don’t “like” Assad, but we are supposed to “love" him.

What's Cookin? said...

Very true. I think she understands the difference (i.e. we pray for bad people that they become good) but should be explained.

Nat said...

I beg to differ about Teresa being "the ignorant." I do think Frankie would be a great teacher though. She'll definitely be a good babysitter - I can tell you that - she practically did it all herself the other night!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...