1.18.2012

Belated birthday post


We celebrated Dave's birthday a few days early knowing he'd be on a plane to Singapore on the real day. After mulling over the birthday cake options (Frankie: "Just don't make that cake with cheese in it this time"), Dave chose something a little surprising: red velvet cake.

I've always harbored a little bitterness toward red velvet cake, to be frank. The scarlet confection screams "I've got flavor" and doesn't deliver. I can't say my opinion improved as I ran down the ingredients list. Two and a half little bottles of red food coloring?!

I didn't have enough, and the cake perhaps did lean more toward pink than red, but the end result was adequate. We agreed the cream cheese frosting was the highlight. I'm expecting this cake will be a been-there, done-that thing on birthdays to come.

I guess that extra bottle of food coloring does make the cake look more burgundy...

The infamous armadillo cake from Steel Magnolias

Happy birthday Love!

3 comments:

Chris Cook said...

The cake sure looks yummy to me. I was not aware that an armadillo cake was famous, but I learn something every time I visit the blog!

Baby Cook will be here before we know it!! How wonderful.

What's Cookin? said...

I read that after the movie came out there was a surge in red velvet cake production. This is according to Wikipedia, which also says that beet puree used to be a coloring agent (still is?) in this cake. Seems a little healthier than 2 tablespoons of food coloring...if there ever is a next time maybe we'll go that route!

Nat said...

Using beet puree would be a great way to get some veggies in your kids! Or - you could make it orange with some sweet potatoes:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...